Thursday, September 15, 2005

May I Rest in Peace

What's the deal with sleeping?

Whatever it is, I could sure use some. I've been going hard the last few weeks with work (starting things up on campus) and bonus work (creating the video promo for our Christmas Conference. You can check out the finished product on the website... www.christmasconference.com ) and man am I tired. Had a couple 3 hours of sleep nights. Oof.

I'm easily sidetracked, which leads to taking longer to get work done, which leads to staying up late and sleeping less, which tends to make me easily sidetracked. the Wee Hour Spiral. Perhaps I should watch some reality TV. Gosh - those shows. Apparently little brainwave activity on the reception end of them, and the creation end of them. But I should be finishing my video now, but since I'm blogging, I'll stay up late to finish. Ah well, no sonorous snoring tonight.

So, instead of doing the sleeping thing, I'll muse about it. (if I could blog while I slept - now THERE would be something useful - though I'd wager my subconscious mind is in desperate need of spellchecking)

But why sleep? I know why I need to - so my contacts cease burning. But ultimately why - farther back, when it all started?

If evolution is true, what naturalistic advantage could have arisen from sleeping? If this gave some incremental benefit to your sex life (or a-sex life in the case of lower life forms) thus making you more "evolutionarily successful" when would that have come into the mix? Early on? Paramecium siesta - probably not. You'd have to go to higher life forms that actually do the sleeping thing.

Having watched a number of wildlife specials, it has dawned on me that most higher lifeforms fall into the biological classification we know as "Meat." (the subcategories are something like; 1) Things I will eat 2) Things I won't eat and 3) Chinese Food, which exists in that foggy state between 1 and 2. This is more true of Chinese Chinese food, which is much better than American Chinese food, in part because of its mysteriousness.)

Anyhow, where is the evolutionary advantage for the first member of the heard who takes the plunge into unconsciousness? "Hey - you other gazelles just jump and frolic around for while. Me? I think I'll lay down for a little while on this buffet table and be completely unaware of my surroundings."

The chocolate chip cookies on my counter have as much of a chance. I know that there are biological reasons that sleep is good, but there does seem to be something more to it, doesn't there?

I have a 13 month old son, whom I love with everything in me. Watching him sleep is great. He sleeps well too. I think sleep, at a metaphysical/spiritual level, points us to a Father. Little John falls into the 'meat' category, and in wilder times when the food chain isn't as linear for us, he's at risk. Especially as a little kid. Little more chance against some wild animal than my chocolate chip cookies have against me. (I expect their defenses to remain low, but hope his will increase.)

John can rest because I am here. His dropping into unconsciousness (though he can't ultimately resist it) points to my presence. I will be there for him - to protect, to supply, to comfort and love him. He can sleep at ease, with no fear of what may come while he is dreaming, because I am his Father, and I would die to save and protect him.

For me, when I do manage to sleep, I rest pretty well. I believe there is a Father who, like me with my son, is there and vigilant. Perhaps I rest even better than little John (or should anyhow) because my powers to love, protect, watch and supply are limited by my own humanity. Very limited. God as a Father is unlimited. I can sleep soundly and secure. Not that bumps, bruises, scrapes, cuts and minor head trauma won't come in my life, but He's there for those as well.

An Old Testament verse comes to mind, something like this: "He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps." I can't watch my son all night - I too must succumb to my needs. But there is one over whom no one must watch, for He watches over all and has no needs.

My sleep then could be an expression of trust. A physical need for restoration and regeneration, but also a spiritual need to be protected and other-reliant. I love that John sleeps well. He trusts us, and that makes me pretty stinking happy.

For those of you who call Him Father, I hope you go and sleep soundly tonight. I think Someone will be there, watching, listening...and smiling.

Goodnight John. Goodnight Father.

No comments: