Monday, December 19, 2005

Preponderances O Conferences

I've not written here for some time. Though, since I've written so little this could hardly be considered a break in my "normal" pattern of blogging. What does normal mean anyhow?

I think part of the reason for not writing, besides laziness or addiction to Halo, is the fact that my job has had a ridiculous number of conferences in the last 2 months. Here's the quick list:

I've been to Western PA, Southern VA, Coastal NJ, Central IN. In the coming several months I will be to Washington DC, a woodsy retreat center in PA, New Orleans, West Virginia and a couple I probably don't see coming.

What is it about the concept of a conference that makes it seem like the answer to problems, or communication?

The word conference itself defines what those times should be about. Conference comes from the word confer which means: To meet in order to deliberate together or compare views; consult

Though on one hand I find it irritating that I've had so many conferences recently - meaning, in the last 10 years - I must say that I also find it interesting when I think about human communication.

It seems that we were designed for face to face communication. With all the technologies and mediums we have now in this "communication age" it seems that we can't get away from the need or desire or efficiency that comes from actual human interaction.

No email, video conference, phone call or satellite hookup can compare with the efficacy and efficiency of human interaction and conversation.

In fact - to be fair - I think that this personal contact becomes even more important these days. I think of my email. I get a barrage of them all day. They range from inept and misspelled attempts to get me to enlarge my manhood, to notes from people I love. The bulk of them are people trying to communicate something important for me to do, or send, or talk about. But what happens is that I get so many of those impersonal requests, that they are mostly lost on me. I don't have time to answer this somewhat important email because I have to get through the other 30 that could be important. Gross.

It's now become so easy to communicate so little with so many. Isn't technology great?!

No - I need to have conversations with other humans. In person is best. I'm moved to action, to inter-action and to be able to communicate and say yes or no right there. They have to ask for things of me to my face, and - because it's a human relationship - I have the ability to change, refuse or modify expectations. Not so with email edicts.

I also have the advantage of being able to hear and talk about the heart and reasons behind the views and jobs I'm given from my bosses and colleagues. It's not just some "do this" thing, it's attached to people I care about, and want to help.

I guess my complaint about my preponderance of conferences then is this: I like the interactions, but I'd prefer to have them here at home. It's more the travel and time away from my normal interactions that I resent, rather than the interaction and the facile nature of communications there. I think I'll have a better attitude if I keep that in mind.

So, If you want to interact with me on this point or have some comments - just drop me an email. I'll probably read it, and just might - might reply.

No comments: