Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Almost Shocking

Wow. It's been a while since I smelled that smell.

I have a studio art degree and during my college years I enjoyed a wide variety of classes in the fine arts. One that was particularly fun, given my penchant for pyromania, was sculpture. Why? Because they had arc welders. Big old welders that could easily weld together thick hunks of steel. Nothing quite like welding - it's an all senses experience; the crackling sound, the eerie light through the visor, the sensation of heat and tiny bits of very recently molten steel bouncing off you (mind the hair!) and the smell. Hard to describe the smell. Kind of an ionized, burnt-air smell. You can even taste it in the air.

Anyhow - that's what my kitchen smelled like today. Actually, with the exception of the heat and molten bits, I was taken back to the bowels of the art building. Wow.

A few years ago we replaced the plugs in our kitchen. Still not sure quite how the guy before us wired it all - weird. I'm no expert either. But above our sink there was a little flouresant light that never really worked. I was 99 and 44/100 % sure that when we redid the outlets, we cut the line to the light. Oops.

So - life lesson learned. Always assume that the wires are live, and kill the breakers. I didn't.

Wanting to take that light out to make room from some wine glass hanger things ("things" the verbal equivalent of large gap filling foam, while we're in the hardware/homeowner theme)
I grabbed my trusty Cutco Super Shears, which really are amazing. They cut through anything. Then, with 99.44% confidence, I went for both the black and white electrical wires in one shot.

It was SPECTACULAR.

Happily, I was unharmed. Unshocked - electrically speaking, but shocked by the eerie light, crackling and that certain smell. Unexpected. I was also a bit wide eyed to see the state of my super shears. There are high carbon steel, and are at least 1/8th of an inch thick on each side at the cutting surface. It's been a while since I've seen such nice arc marks. Check it out:

Hooray for non-conductive plastic handles. Brilliant!

Not that I have any readers, but if you are counting that's two molten metal accidents here at my house. (see the grill entry a year or so back) At least ones that are worthy of blogging. I wonder what will complete the hat trick?

So tomorrow, when I go to cap those two wires, before I try to strip the wire you better believe I'll be shutting down the breaker to the kitchen - to the whole house might be better. Or the neighborhood.

No comments: